2 June 2011

Po Lin Monastery Deli Vegetarian Café, Hong Kong

During my stay in Hong Kong, I went for a day trip to Lantau island to have a closer look at Tian Tian Buddha


After climbing the 268 steps to reach the Buddha statue, I wanted to grab something to eat before taking the bus to the fishing town of Tai O, and following the recommendation of my friend S, I went to the Deli Vegetarian Cafe of Po Lin monastery.


I took a tray and joined the line. I did not see any other main than fried noodles with vegetables, but there was an extensive choice of vegetarian desserts. Most of the desserts were flan-like, probably made with agar-agar. I had noodles with dou hua, a side dish made of very soft silky tofu in a lukewarm sirup and soy sauce. It does not look very good, but I love this dish which can be eaten either cold or warm and can be a very refreshing dessert during summer. As desserts were sold in batches of three, I had a green tea pudding, a mango pudding and a black sesame pudding. These puddings were large and thick, and had an artificial flavour.

Vegetarian fried noodles, dou hua, vegetarian desserts

Cost:  HKD 10 for noodles and dou hua, HKD 10 for 3 puddings.

Had I not been stuffed with my three puddings, I might have tried in Tai O these lovely (sea?) snails:


Or BBQ tiger prawns and oysters (!)


Or some egg yolks to boost my cholestorel level?



No comments:

Post a Comment