10 May 2011

Kokomo, Gili Trawangan, Lombok, Indonesia


"There's a place called Kokomo 
That's where you wanna go to get away from it"

The Beach Boys' "Kokomo" is in the Caribbean sea. My Kokomo is on Gili Trawangan, a paradise island with a chill out atmosphere that reminded me of Caye Caulker in Belize. After circling the island by bike, I stopped at Kokomo, a resort with villas with private pools on the south eastern part of the island to have lunch at the best restaurant on the island (according to Lonely Planet). As it was 3.30pm I was starving, and had my eyes bigger than my belly. I ordered tomato bruschetta, lobster pasta and a side of vegetables. It was a struggle to finish, but I could enjoy the nice view on the beach terrace while testing my stomach.

Tomato bruschetta

Lobster spaghettini

Steamed vegetables

And yes, for those who wonder, Kokomo is an Italian restaurant. 
The bill came at around IDR 230 000 (£16).

I went back to Kokomo a couple of days later to have diner with a couple of French people whom I met at my hotel. As on an island one has to eat seafood, I had lovely crab ravioli and a platter of grilled lobster, prawn, scampi, fish, calamari and scallop. Everything was fresh and well prepared, but I did not understand the use of olive oil as a dipping sauce for the seafood. An Italian thing I guess.

Mushroom soup

Crab ravioli

Platter of grilled seafood

The bill for three came at an extraordinary 2 or 2.5 million rupiah, which is not cheap even by European standards. But we had a round of cocktails and a glass of (bad) local wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment