24 May 2011

L' Atelier, London, UK

L'Atelier de Robuchon is another Michelin starred restaurant which offers an amazing lunch deal. In addition to the quality of the food, and the decent price (at lunch), service is quick and efficient, and I would certainly be a regular lunch customer if I was working in Soho. The lunch menu allows customers to pick between three different starters, three mains and two desserts or cheese. To me, the best seats are at the bar, where you can watch the diligent staff of l' Atelier in action.


I chose an egg cocotte to start and pollock for main. The egg cocotte was superbly cooked and had a wonderful mushroom flavour. It was a shame that it was served in a martini glass, as the beauty of the presentation did not make up for the inconvenience of eating in it.

Oeuf cocotte with light wild mushroom cream

Usually I do not like to order fish in gastronomic restaurants because I find that meat dishes offer more potential for the chef to show his skills. However I must admit this pollock was moist and cooked to perfection. It came with a beautiful red pepper pasta cake which did not taste as good as it looked.


Pollock stuffed with basil, macaroni and piquillos fricassée

As we had ordered a bottle of delicious Meursault, we went for cheese instead of dessert. We had two "cheeses of the day" which were rather disappointing. Actually I have never been fond of "pre-made" cheese plates, and prefer being able to pick my own cheese out of a cheese board, like the memorably huge platter I had at les Bories.



Cost:
Menu du jour, served from 12pm-3pm and 5.30pm-6.30pm: £22 for 2 courses, £27 for 3 courses

No comments:

Post a Comment