30 June 2010

Mama Shelter, Paris, France


If you want to enjoy fine food while sipping fairly priced wine with kind and considerate service, do not go to Mama Shelter.
If you want to enjoy al fresco dining in a comfortable sofa, and if money is not a problem, go and book a table at this hip hotel-restaurant of Paris 20th arrondissement, but remember this piece of advice: do not make eye contact with the lovely waiter R.


A sample of the menu:
 Green curry mussels with celeriac casserole  

 Duck Parmentier and mesclun salad

 Linguine with aubergine cream, coriander and Parmesan cheese

Vittelo tonnato

I have been too severe at the beginning of this post. Apart from my Vittelo tonnato the dishes were rather good. Besides, having never tried this dish previously, I can not tell whether it was not properly prepared or if I just made a bad choice. My friend M might have set too high expectations in her description. Indeed, I thought I had ordered a light antipasto made of thinly sliced chilled veal with a delicate tuna sauce (this weird combination should have raised my eyebrows though). Instead I was served with cold meat swimming in a fatty mayonnaise with big chunks of Parmesan cheese...Ugh. And not the slightest taste of tuna.

The mussels were rather small but tasty, and came with golden crispy French fries. The duck Parmentier was generous and filling. I did not try the linguine but N. seemed to enjoy them. For those who wish a lighter option, go for the sea bass and pesto minestrone.

The restaurant itself is a pleasant venue, and if you make the effort to reach the place (10 minutes walk from the Métro station Porte de Bagnolet) you will find a vibrant atmosphere at the bar and the terrace in a not yet too crowded area of Paris.
The main downside was the price, as expected at this boho eatery. And I must admit the waiters were not always unpleasant - after all, this is Paris, what else could I expect?

Cost: Specials: 19 EUR / Starters: 7.5-19 EUR / Main courses: 15-36 EUR / Dessert: 8-22 EUR (to share)
Wine: +/-30 EUR

No comments:

Post a Comment