12 October 2010

Saint John Bread and Wine, London, UK


I opened my duck season at Saint John Bread and Wine in Spitafields market. Every time I go to one of Saint John's restaurants, I struggle to understand the menu, which changes everyday and uses seasonal products. I usually order randomly and get the surprise. This time I played it safe and ordered some rock oysters, and a delicious Mallard duck breast fillet with girolles.

Rock oysters

Mallard and Girolles

Oysters were large, meaty and fresh. The duck beast fillets were the best I ever had. They were pink, tender and juicy and were served with gorgeous girolles sautéed with pasley. This dish was good enough to make anyone love autumn.

Now, after Saint John Bread and Wine, my next mission is to find fifteen friends who are willing to share a whole roast suckling pig with me for a proper feast at Saint John restaurant in Smithfield. Anyone interested?

Cost: £1.50 per oyster, £14.10 for the main



"If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, looks like a duck, it must be a duck"

1 comment:

  1. It must be a duck indeed!!
    By the way I went several times to St John and I love it too, even though as you said I don't really understand the menu either! But in the end it is always a good surprise.

    ReplyDelete