3 October 2010

Bistrot Bruno Loubet, London, UK

After having my bouillabaisse in Marseille, I did not expect to have the opportunity to have another one anytime soon. But bless you London for all you have to offer! We went to Bistro Bruno Loubet by total chance, and I was most excited to see a bouillabaisse in the menu.


As I had been to zumba class in the morning I had to offset the calorie loss and suggested to Mr Sardine to share the "Mauricette snails, meatballs and Royale de champignons" as a starter. That was my best idea of the day.

Mauricette snails, meatballs with royal de champignons

This was such an amazing starter. Surprisingly, the most tasty part of the dish was not the snails but the tomato sauce that had such a strong flavour that I suspect it was prepared with tomato confit. Royale de champignon sounds totally French but I had never heard of such dish. It was a light mushrooms mousse perfumed with truffle oil.

Farm rabbit leg, filled with a harb farce, 
carrot purée, young vegetables

I do not undestand why some people in England will not eat rabbit because it is supposedly a cute animal. Rabbit is far from being an endanger species, and is not lovelier than a cow, or is it? Anyway, I like rabbit but do not cook it often because there are so many bones to get rid of. Therefore, Mr Sardine did not miss the opportunity to order some rabbit at Loubet. These rabbit legs tasted very good but were slightly undercooked. It came with a large amount of vegetables, which was enjoyable but unfortunately, half of the baby leeks were raw. Maybe it was not supposed to be eaten but what is the point to put it on the plate then?

Bouillabaisse

I am not good at recognizing fish species but I could count at least 4 or 5 different fish cuts in my soup, and I trust Bruno Loubet for using scorpionfish, conger and sea robin to make a proper bouillabaisse. The bouillabaisse I had in Marseille was a thick fish soup with pieces of fish, while this one was a clearer broth. I do not know which one is more authentic, but I enjoyed Loubet's bouillabaisse a lot as it was tasty and light.

Cost: Starters: £6.50 - £8.50
Mains: £14.50 - £18.75

Chef Bruno Loubet




1 comment:

  1. a bit of pardon, but the picture you provide is not Bruno,it is a guy named Gwen and yes you do not know much about fish

    ReplyDelete