31 May 2011

Pied à Terre, London, UK

One of my issues is that I eat quicker than I write. As a consequence I have a huge backlog that can be reduced only if I do not go out for the next month and feed myself with the lovely vegetables Abel and Cole delivers to my door every Monday morning. But before that, I had to try the self-proclaimed best value Michelin-starred lunch in town at Pied à Terre. I had already been to its sister restaurant, L'Autre Pied twice, and lunch there was indeed good value. 


Pied à Terre is on Charlotte street, a mecca for food lovers. As we arrived in front of Pied à Terre, we saw two garbage bags next to the door. Not a good mise en bouche, and definitely not a good start to get delivered L's Quality Stamp. A five-course menu advertised at £29.50 in a 2-Michelin star restaurant sounded indeed good value, and we went for it despite a limited choice (two starters and two mains). 

We had three nice appetizers, lovely to see and to taste.

Amuses bouche: sun dried tomato and mascarpone, salmon verrine, foie gras and poppy seed crackers

As a starter we both had the tuna tartar, which went well with the soft boiled quail eggs. L did not like the anchovy beignets but I found them quite enjoyable.

Tuna tartar with French beans and parsley salad, soft boiled quail eggs, walnut mayonnaise, anchovy beignets

I chose meat for my main. The waiter told me that the blade of beef had been cooked for more than thirty hours (or was it eighteen?) Yummy, that beef was tender and the port jus tasty, but I found the bone marrow a little bit too raw.

Slow cooked blade of beef with horseradish purée, salt baked carrot, bone marrow, watercress and port jus

 L. went for the fish. Surprise, more beignets for her!

Poached Gilthead seabream with greem asparagus, baby courgette, dandelion, samphire chips, crayfish tail and shellfish bisque

We had then a refreshing pre-dessert. I remember the waiter mentioning hibiscus but L says it was mango and lime. I guess we will never find out.

Pre-dessert: hibiscus jelly and lime mousse

L. and her sweet tooth ordered a dessert while I had a fresh mint tea with petits fours. I tried one of her financiers and it was soft and fragant with honey. My petits fours were so lovely that it was a shame to eat them, but I almost managed to finish them all.


Honey financiers with fig purée, mascarpone, black olive ice cream and olive oil powder

Petits fours

I liked my lunch at Pied à Terre, but failed to see a big difference with the cuisine at L'Autre Pied, which has "only" one Michelin star. L, for her part did not agree with the "best value Michelin-starred lunch" part and would rather give this title to Gauthier Soho.

Cost: £29.50 for the 5-course menu.
Please note that the amuses bouche and pre-dessert are each counted as one course.
The bill came at £45 each, including service and a glass of wine



No comments:

Post a Comment